QCPC Board Meeting
April 15, 2019
Call to Order: Larry Miller, President, called the meeting to order at 12:05 pm at Riverfront Grille in Rock Island.
Board Members Present: Cindy Wiseman, Randy Wince, Rose Barman, Lori Holst, Janette Harrington
Other Members: Judy Petersen, Ruth Senneff, Mary Healy, Barb Shinbori, Dave Stover, Sharon Walters, Jason Roth
February minutes were approved.
Treasurer’s Report: Cindy Wiseman
Opening Balance as of 3-1-19 $18452.34
Closing Balance as of 4-15-19 $18262.55
- Closing balance includes money being held for the Milan Park Board and from VIM Today QC Pickleball Classic sponsorships which will be paid out to 5.0s and Pros.
Tournament Update: Dave Stover
- The VIM Today QC Classic, to be held 8/14-17, is open for registration. This a tier 4 Medal Match Only (MMO) sanctioned tournament where Referees will be needed for the MMO.
- Player ratings will be reviewed July 1.
- We have about 38 people, including 18 from out of town, who will attend the May 10 Referee Training.
- Sharon Walters – Paddlewheel tournament has about 93 players signed up. April 17 was the last day to sign up.
- Sharon Walters – First class of beginners was held at Blackhawk College. Turnout was good.
- The Park District is putting on an Adult/Kid evening play at Mel McKay from 7/22-26.
- 2 windscreens are installed at Mel McKay and new 6’ fencing will be installed all around the courts. Paddlewheel tournament profits go toward this.
- Barb Shinbori – A drone video was taken of PB play at NW Park. Barb will see if the gentleman who took the video would take some videos at other venues. These would be posted on our website.
- The Summer Sr. Olympics will be held 6/28 prior to the American Cancer Society tournament, which is June 29, 30.
- Ruth Senneff – The fundraiser for the Bettendorf School Foundation will be held 7/20 (or 7/21 in case of rain) at the Bettendorf Middle School.
- Youth PB camp will be held 7/8-12 in Eldridge.
- TBK is holding youth day camps this summer and may include PB.
- Youth tournament will be held 8/14 at the QC Tennis Club in conjunction with the VIM Today QC Classic. There will also be a Bettendorf youth clinic to be held the week prior to the Classic and the hope is to attract these youths.
- Iowa State Games will be held 7/27 and Ruth would like to get some of our local youths there to compete.
- Randy Wince – Is working with Bettendorf Middle school kids to play at Life Fitness Center. May investigate an after-school club.
Golf pros and their families will be able to play PB at the QC Tennis Club as a break from golfing during the John Deere Classic.
PB Court Plans
Geneseo Court Plans– Dave Stover
City council will vote regarding installation of 6 new PB courts. The old tennis courts would be resurfaced with fencing installed between each court and PB nets used. Construction would begin in the Fall.
Blue Grass– Larry Miller
The City of Blue Grass is looking into installing PB courts. John Johnstone is our club contact.
LeClaire– Randy Wince
LeClaire is putting in 6 PB courts in behind Stevenson’s. Patty Zimmer is the contact.
Clinton– Lori Holst
Clinton will build PB courts by June 15 and they will look like NW Park.
The Club funds from Pickleball Central were used to buy Rule Books for the Referees, balls for the upcoming leagues and a new net bag to replace a broken one.
Janette Harrington will get an announcement regarding the upcoming leagues on the website.
Larry Miller wants to get more PB players to play at QC Tennis Club since the new owner will be putting in new amenities for us. Possibilities to get more players there include having beginner classes, encouraging mid-level players to come and doing more on the evenings and weekends.
Larry Miller wants to raise money for the youth training program by offering his coaching services. More to follow.
Next meeting TBD.
Meeting adjourned at 1:25 pm.
Janette Harrington, Secretary